- POST at UK Parliament has released a new POSTnote discussing how to manage land uses for environmental benefits.
- Nature4Climate, in partnership with the Planetary Emergency Partnership, the Club of Rome and the World Economic Forum are running a webinar – “A Nature-Positive Recovery for People, Economy & Climate” – on 1st July 2020. Register here.
- The Green Alliance blog, Inside Track, has published a joint piece by Tony Juniper (chair of Natural England), Emma Howard Boyd (chair of the Environment Agency) and Sir William Worsley (chair of the Forestry Commission) on forming a green recovery plan post-coronavirus.
- The BES has published a new Policy Brief outlining general consideration for climate adaptation indicators, developed in a workshop lead by the BES Climate Change SIG.
- The Fisheries Bill completed its Report Stage on 24 June, with the House of Lords making some amendments relating to fishing vessel size, national landing requirements and remote monitoring of overseas vessels in UK waters.
- Defra have opened a consultation on the England Tree Strategy, the Government’s future tree planting programme. Share your views here, consultation closes 11 September 2020.
- Defra are inviting responses to the Policy Discussion Document on the Environmental Land Management (ELM) Scheme, England’s future agri-environment scheme which is currently under development. Opportunity to respond closes 31 July 2020, and Defra are also running interactive online seminars for farmers, foresters and land managers throughout July.
- The Environment Agency have an open consultation on river basin planning. Share your views here, consultation ends 24 September 2020
- The Welsh Government has launched two new funds for nature projects – the National Forest Community Woodland Grant Fund, and the Local Places for Natural Capital Fund.
- A new global extinction target has been proposed, with the following interesting blog about the research by Richard Gregory, one of the Science paper’s co-authors.
A couple of interesting articles on international conservation policy from Mongabay: